Yefeh Nof (meaning the beautiful landscape) was established in 1897 by the Yefe Nof Building Society, led by Yehezkel Danin Suchowolsky (one of the founders of Ahuzat Bayit). The land, purchased with the help of Yaakov Pascal, Austro-Hungarian Counsel in Eretz Yisrael, was located on the beach west of Manshiya and was home to thirty Ashkenazi and Sephardi families. In 1904, Jerusalem entrepreneur and journalist Shlomo Feingold built several houses there (later known as the Feingold houses) as well as the luxurious, two-story, 30-room Bella Vista Hotel. The hotel had a cafe with a dance hall and orchestra, a restaurant and a movie theater. In 1908, the hotel was leased to Yechiel Amdursky, who owned Central Hotel in Jerusalem, and renamed the Amdursky Hotel. In addition to the cinema, the renovated hotel provided a theater, entertainment events and the first casino in Jaffa. During the First World War, the Turks confiscated the building and turned it into a detention center for foreign nationals who refused to become Ottoman citizens. The neighborhood was basically a small enclave in the heart of an Arab neighborhood and became a slum. During the Arab Revolt (1936-39), the hotel and the neighborhood were plundered.
Shaarei Achva (meaning the gates of fraternity) was established in 1899 north of Neve Tzedek by twelve religious Ashkenazi families who were members of Achva, a Jerusalem cultural association headed by Eliyahu Aharon Kahana and Yehoshua HaCohen Milner. Since they had the means, these families built six separate houses with small courtyards and public institutions including a synagogue and a modern cheder that later became a prominent school. Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook, the chief rabbi of Jaffa and later the first Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of the Yishuv, also lived in this neighborhood. Achva and Shabazi streets today mark the site of this old neighborhood.
The Mahane Yehuda neighborhood, named after the tribe of Yehuda (Judea), was built south of Neve Tzedek in 1903 (today Elroy and Shabazi streets). The land was purchased from David Moyal (son of Joseph Moyal) in 1896. The first inhabitants were a group of workers and artists from Yemen and the moshavot (agricultural colonies). The plots were 100-150 square meters in size and the houses were built from wooden boards and tin sheets. Later the neighborhood was expanded, and sandstone buildings were erected.
Mahaneh Yosef (meaning the Tent of Joseph, and named after Joseph “Bey’’ Moyal) was established in 1904 between Neve Tzedek and Manshiya. Land for this neighborhood was also purchased from David Moyal, and the residents were immigrants from North Africa. The neighborhood was about 12 dunams in size. Some of the houses in the neighborhood were built from sheets of tin, so it was referred to as the “tin can neighborhood.” But other houses were built by wealthy Jews and were large and spacious, such as the Barsky House, Matalon House and Moyal House.
Mahane Yisrael (Kerem Ha’Teimanim) was built in 1904 on land of the Manshiya neighborhood, north of what was later to become Ahuzat Beit. It stood on seven dunams owned by the Chelouche and Moyal families. The neighborhood was established by immigrant families from Yemen. Each family bought a plot of land of 100-150 square meters. The first houses were dilapidated, but later rectangular structures were built. This population was poor and most of the breadwinners were craftsmen or small business owners.
The Ohel Moshe neighborhood, named after Moshe Asulin, who brokered the land purchase deal, was founded in 1906 by immigrants from North Africans. It was built in two blocks on 22 dunams in size: one block was situated near Mahane Yehuda and the second near Mahane Yosef, east of Manshiya. In 1912, the neighborhood included 82 homes.
The first Jewish neighborhoods outside Jaffa created a continuous Jewish presence to the east and northeast of Jaffa, and south of Valhalla, the Templar neighborhood. On the way to Jerusalem, another small neighborhood called Betei Varsha (meaning houses of Warsaw) was erected by Yitzhak Fenigstein, a merchant and industrialist from Warsaw, who bought three large buildings and a courtyard from the German Templar George Kapuss. In 1907, the Bar Giora Association was founded there. The neighborhood was completely destroyed in the Arab Revolt of 1936-39.
אנו רואים חשיבות עליונה בהנגשת אתר האינטרנט שלנו לאנשים עם מוגבלויות, וכך לאפשר לכלל האוכלוסיה להשתמש באתרנו בקלות ובנוחות. באתר זה בוצעו מגוון פעולות להנגשת האתר, הכוללות בין השאר התקנת רכיב נגישות ייעודי.
למרות מאמצנו להנגיש את כלל הדפים באתר באופן מלא, יתכן ויתגלו חלקים באתר שאינם נגישים. במידה ואינם מסוגלים לגלוש באתר באופן אופטימלי, אנה צרו איתנו קשר